Name Changing Tips

Happy Wedding Wednesday, everyone!  So you made it down the aisle, you're head over heels with your now hubby and you're ready to change your name.  Where to begin?  

Make a list of items to change & get 3 copies of your marriage license

The first thing to do is decide the major items you need to change.  For example, you may have: 

  • Drivers License
  • Social Security Card
  • TSA Pre-Check
  • Airline profiles 
  • Bank accounts and credit cards
  • Store credit cards and more!

First and foremost, you need your marriage license in order to change your name.  We recommend ordering three copies of your marriage license when  you order it because not every company sends it back.  


Step two.jpg

Change your social security card and TSA Pre first

To change your social security card, simply visit a social security office near you and bring your license (or a state ID), a completed application and a marriage license.  Even better, the lines are super short and you'll receive your card in the mail inside of 2 weeks.  Once your social security card is changed, your name is technically changed.  However, you can still use your license for all flights until you change your name.  

The second item to immediately change is your TSA Pre.  Shockingly, TSA Pre can take up to 6 months to change.  To start the process, simply call TSA at 866-289-9673 to initiate the process.  Once you tell them your married name, you'll be entered into a waiting queue to be contacted at a later date for your marriage license - this step can take up to 3 months.  Once your contacted via email regarding submission of your marriage license, you'll simply scan your marriage license.  From there, it will take up to another 3 months to process.  Once it's complete, you'll receive a confirmation email.  We highly recommend waiting to change any other items until this goes through so you can continue to use your TSA Pre when you fly.


Time to officially feel like you're a Mrs.

OK so you've changed most of the big items, now it's time to tackle your license.  To change your license, visit your DMV website to double check necessary documents.  However, you'll most likely need your current license, your marriage certificate and two pieces of mail proving your residence (think bills not magazines).  Once you visit the DMV, you'll be all set and can tackle all other important items.  We recommend tackling your airlines and bank accounts next.  Although these can be tricky, it all starts with calling the customer service line.  You will most likely need to scan or fax a copy of your marriage license to a specific department.   


Learn to cut your ties with unimportant accounts

Living in a digital world means hundreds of accounts all associated to one email and one name.  If you're not invested in their point system, let it go and start a new one.  Trying to decide just how many things you need to change?  Consider checking out, a site that organizes all places you'll need to change your name by simply typing in your name, email and a few other basic details.  The important thing to remember is that with each change, you are celebrating your new union with that dreamy partner of yours.  Congratulations!  And happy name changing!